Monday, March 26, 2012

Best shrimp cocktail

In my opinion the Golden Gate(downtown)has the best shrimp cocktail.You have to order the large shrimp(2.99).You get about 16 the size of your pinky(almost).Where is your favorite?



Best shrimp cocktail


I agree with Golden Gate but I prefer the original which is now 1.99 unless you have a Golden Gate Player%26#39;s Club card and then it is still 99 cents.



Best shrimp cocktail


Well, if your idea of the ';best'; is the least expensive, then I guess you%26#39;re right. But saying that the shrimp cocktail that you get at the Gate is better than one that you%26#39;d get for $15 at a nice restaurant is comparable to saying that Ellis Island serves a better steak dinner than Prime.




Golden Gate is the ';best';And Ellis Island does beat Prime!!!




Talking about shrimp cocktails I have a question that always hounds me when I visit the US...





In Australia (and the UK) shrimp are served with a creamy cocktail sauce (Marie Rose Sauce) but whenever I have had a shrimp cocktail in the US, it comes with a dark red cocktail sauce which is almost spicy (and for me not as nice as the Marie Rose sauce).





Can you ask for Marie Rose sauce when you order shrimp cocktails (or any chilled seafood for that matter) or do you just have to have the cocktail sauce they provide?




Chuppa: The only sauce I have ever in my life seen served as part of a shrimp cocktail is the red cocktail sauce. Personally, I love the stuff BECAUSE it%26#39;s spicy.





I am curious, though: What does the sauce you are talking about taste like? Is it still tomatoey? My interest is piqued.




I have a suspicion that it is a little like our thousand island salad dressing or what is called remoulade sauce in New Orleans. They only serve the red spicy kind with shrimp cocktail here , but I also sometimes find it too spicy, so I ask for it ';on the side'; and ask for a little side of mayonnaise as well and mix them together. Gives me a creamy mildly tomato flavored sauce much like you describe, which I also prefer.




Here%26#39;s one recipe I found for Marie Rose. so I think my cocktail sauce /mayo mixture would come close- and they give youa wedge of lemon you can squeeze in at most places:





Marie Rose Sauce





Generally, one part ketchup mixed with six parts mayonnaise (e.g. 1 tbsp ketchup, 6 tbsp mayonnaise). Sometimes a tablespoon of lemon juice and a dash of a chili sauce (such as Tabasco) is added. Usually served with shrimp; sometimes served with French Fries in Belgium.




Lulutoo - that%26#39;s the same recipe of the sauce I%26#39;m talking about!





Marie Rose is similar to thousand island, but a little different. It%26#39;s excellent with chilled seafood, especially prawns %26amp; shrimps. But I just can never find it served in Vegas (or anywhere else in the US).





Sister Dino, maybe I can do what you say and get it served on the side, and also get a serve of mayo and mix my own! LOL! :)




I have 2 offerings on this topic:





Downtown, I like the Fremont (';Lanai Express';). Still 99 cents (as of March, anyway), and I love the finely chopped celery towards the bottom. I ask for no additional cocktail sauce, because what%26#39;s at the bottom is adequate, and I mix it up to the top with the celery. Also, they are in plastic cups so I can walk out with a couple of them if I want, and eat in my hotel room or as I wander Fremont St. I LIKE GG%26#39;s also, in fact I think their actual shrimp is better, but I miss the celery, and I can%26#39;t walk out with their fancy shrimp cocktail glass. And for $1.99? That takes the fun out of it!





My other offering on this is that I one time went to ';The Dam'; 24-hour diner/restaurant at Hooters, (where we got wings served to us at 3 AM by a Hooters GUY - disappointing) and as an appetizer I ordered their shrimp cocktail. If I remember correctly, it was larger sized shrimp in a mexican-type of salsa rther than cocktail sauce, but it was DELICIOUS. Good flavors of lime and cilantro with the shrimp! Not traditional shrimp cocktail, but very good.





As for the Marie Rose stuff, it sounds good. But isn%26#39;t ';COCKTAIL sauce'; what makes a shrimp cocktail a ';shrimp COCKTAIL';??? If you put Marie Rose on it, then it%26#39;s a shrimp Marie Rose! :) (Kind of like how the Hooters shrimp cocktail I described isn%26#39;t 100% legit, even though it was good.)




I like the one I make myself with the peeled shrimp at PH or MB buffet.


  • anti aging creams
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment